Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 05:12:09 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Damien Tougas <damien@carroll.com>
Cc:        Tony Wells <awells@journalstar.com>, Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scripting FTP actions

Damien Tougas wrote:

> --On Tuesday, May 15, 2001 16:53:20 -0400 Daniel Frazier
> <dfrazier@magpage.com> wrote:

> > I'd use scp.  with scp you can utilize a ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file
> > on the destination machine and you won't have to put any passwords in
> > the script.
>
> Another way you can do this is by setting up macros for the FTP client. I
> am not very familiar with ncftp, but I do know you can do this with the
> FreeBSD ftp client. If you put a macro in your .netrc file called init for
> a particular host, it will be automatically processed as soon as you try to
> connect to a that host. An example .netrc file is as follows:
>
>     machine ftp.someplace.com
>     login dude
>     password abc123

This will still result in sending your password in ASCII over a
generic TCP stream. Not so with the presented scp solution.

Roelof

PS even today I'm connected to the 'Net via CATV using a Com21 which
allows all other Com21 users in the segment to view my data. Passwords
and all. Fortunately this situation is getting rarer. Unfortunately
there are always ways.