Date:      Wed, 07 Dec 2005 18:16:08 +0100
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        Christopher McGee <chris@xecu.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pxeboot for nfs installation woes.

Christopher McGee wrote:
> Hi all, I have a lot of servers on order, so I want to be able to just
> network boot them as a jumpstart into the installation (which will then
> be scripted).  I am most of the way there.  I have tested my NFS shares
> and if I boot a boxe off a cd, I can do the nfs installation without
> fail.  I have setup pxeboot, and if I am far enough along that when I
> boot off the network, it tftp's the files it needs, boots through menus,
> loads the generic kernel, mounts an nfs root, then errors.  The errors
> are "exec /sbin/init: error 70".  One error for each attempt at an init
> file.  Then it gives me an "init: not found in path
> /sbin/init:/sbin/oinit......"  Then it panics and reboots.  There is so
> much I've done, I'm not sure what specifics anyone might need to offer
> some assistance.

1st: I have done it but with ftp install rather than nfs, see here:

    http://www.daemonsecurity.com/pxe/

I used no cd's to bootstrap or anything.

2nd: One of the first things done in the bootstrapping is to load the
loader.conf, in this you can override any settings of paths to the init
program.

For installation usually sysinstall is used, which can be scripted - I
assume you are refering to this? - you can set the path with an option
in loader.conf, for example:

init_path="/stand/sysinstall"

The option may contain a colon separated list of files and they are
checked in order, the first found is run. Check the path to your init or
sysinstall on the nfs-client.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org