Date:      Sat, 01 Mar 1997 15:05:23 -0800
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        morion@access.dux.ru
Subject:   [Fwd: Re: ATAPI CD[D[D[D[D]

I am passing the buck on this one. Anyony help this user out?

I wrote:
> > Just because it works in DOS does not mean that all is configured
> > correctly for FreeBSD. It does however mean that the drive is not
> > broken.
> >
> > If your CDROM is connected to the primary IDE controller then you must
> > have device wdc0 in your kernel.
> >
> > If your CDROM is connected to the secondary IDE controller then you must
> > have device wdc1 in your kernel.
> >
> > If your CDROM is the first drive on the either controller then it must
> > be set to master.
> >
> > If your CDROM is the second drive on the either controller then is must
> > be set to slave.
> >
> > When trying to MAKEDEV the CDROM try this also.
> >
> >       /dev/MAKEDEV wcd0c   <--- note the added c
> >
> > Keep at it. You will figure it out.

They responded:
> Ok, I tried "./MAKEDEV wcd0c". Kernel wrote: "bad unit for disk in: wcd0c".

I cry "HELP" :
At this point I am in over my head. I do not know what the "bad unit"
error means.

Could somebody more knowledgable on this list grab this one from me?

--
 __   __
/ 0\ / 0\         Thank you * Highperformance.net