Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 10:21:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        abial@webgiro.com (Andrzej Bialecki)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modules and sysctl tree

Andrzej Bialecki writes:
> > KLD's are just a linking mechanism, and shouldn't have any more
> > significance than that from a usability perspective.
>
> Hah. If it were so simple...
>
> Let's take the example of a module foo, which provides unique features of
> bar and baz. They are unrelated to any already existing category. Where
> they should be hooked up? kernel? machdep? Then these categories will
> become a messy, amorphic trashcans. Also, it will be difficult to see
> which sysctls will disappear when the module is unloaded.

Well, IMHO the problem of how to organize the sysctl tree is orthogonal
(ie, completely independent) from how the kernel is linked.

I guess if you imagine a world where hundreds of third party vendors
are distributing KLD's that do all kinds of crazy things, then yes
perhaps we need a "miscellaneous" category eg, misc.foo.bar ..

But right now it looks like 99% of KLD's are part of FreeBSD itself.
So there's no reason we can't put them in their correct sysctl location
right from the beginning.

> More or less, my question is: how the sysctl tree will look like when
> _most_ of the kernel will be in modules?

Just like it does now.

-Archie