Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:36:26 -0500
From:      Len Huppe <huppe@execpc.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Bridging a Token Ring and Ethernet LAN

I have a networking application that I am confident FreeBSD can handle.
Just the same, I would like to ask those of you with more experience
than I for advice here.  My employer has a client with about 125
workstations already configured as a token ring net.  These workstations
were recently moved to a new location where all of the existing LAN
infrastructure is ethernet.  Luckily enough, these workstations are all
located in the same area so setting them up again was very quick and
easy.  They simply replaced all of the existing ethernet hubs and
switches over to token ring.  The problem that my client now faces is
how does he bridge this network and connect it to his ethernet LAN?

We're down to just two options now.  One is to use a Cisco 2513 dual LAN
router and situate it between one of the token ring hubs and the nearest
ethernet hub, we hope.  The other option is to setup a PC Unix router
with one token ring and one ethernet NIC installed.  Can FreeBSD serve
as a router in this configuration?  It's only task will be to convert
packets between the two formats.

It would be a great plus if the two sides of the router could be on the
upper and loiwer halves of the same subnet.  For example, eth0 would
have a network address of 192.168.12.0, and eth1 would have a network
address of 192.168.12.128.

lemme know what you think

Thanks a bunch,
Len Huppe