Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:06:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@misha.cisco.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        wpaul@hub.freebsd.org, deraadt@fsa.ca
Subject:   using multiple NIS servers

Hello!

I'm setting up a FreeBSD server for a small number of "almost"-dataless
clients.

I want the clients to get some of the NIS tables from an already
existing server _outside of my control_ (running FreeBSD-2.2.6) and
some tables from this new server.

Ideally, I'd want the information from the new server to _overwrite_
that obtained from the old one, should a conflict arise, but I can
settle for less.

Is this possible in a "semi-automagic" way with FreeBSD-3.1-RELEASE
server and a mixture of 3.0 and 3.1 clients?

Alternatively, I can make this new server to be the only nis-server
for the clients, but update its tables from the old server regularly
(only the tables I need).

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks a lot for your time!

	-mi