Date:      Sun, 05 Dec 1999 22:33:19 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should UPDATING tell you to rerun MAKEDEV now?

> David Malone wrote:
> > I just had the same problem as someone else on the list where I
> > booted after a make world and new kernel, and then fsck reported
> > the filesystems clean but mount said they were dirty. I booted
> > from the old kernel, installed and ran the new MAKEDEV and the
> > new kernel ran fine. This is on a 386.
>
> Being the other person, I basically had the same problem. I had run
> MAKEDEV but an IDE disk did go bad which caused a crash which caused
> /dev corruption which caused the problem I posted...
>
> > Phk just recommended running MAKEDEV to the othe person with this
> > problem.
>
> I had to boot a kernel and /dev off a floppy to fix the /dev.

I've been in a similar situation, even when not in "crisis" mode, but
just when installing new disk drives or moving stuff around.  It's
sort of annoying that you can't run MAKEDEV with just a root file
system mounted.  It wants to chown(8) the device nodes as they're
created, but it fails since chown is in /usr/sbin, which isn't mounted.

If we've got chio(1) in the root file system, couldn't we have
chown there too?

louie