Date:      Mon, 12 May 2003 23:42:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      horikawa@jp.FreeBSD.org
To:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Cc:        ru@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ".It Xo" ... generates improper output on groff 1.18.1

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> On 2003-05-12 01:00, Kazuo Horikawa <horikawa@jp.FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently, using groff 1.18.1, I realized that sequences like below
> > produce improper output.
> >
> > .It Xo
> > .Em start
> > and
> > .Em size
> > .Xc
> > fields provide the start address
> > and size of a slice in sectors.
> >
> > Sequence above taken from src/sbin/fdisk/fdisk.8 rev 1.34 is formated
> > as follows:
> >
> >      andrsize'                      fields provide the start address and size
> >                            of a slice in sectors.
> >
> > I could see "warning: missing closing delimiter" on stderr, if -ww is
> > specified.
> >
> > Is this fixed by recent groff 1.19, or still existing problem?
>
> This...
>
>     .Bl -tag
>     The
>     .Nm
>     utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output.
>     .It Xo
>     .Em start
>     and
>     .Em size
>     .Xc
>     fields provide the start address
>     and size of a slice in sectors.
>     .El
>
> works fine using groff 1.19 with -z -ww -mandoc options here.

I see.  Interesting.  I also verified groff 1.18.1 with -z -ww
-mandoc works fine for the sequence above.

But, I am afraid you will see "warning: missing closing delimiter"
if you have:
	.Bl -tag -width ".Em cyl , sector No and Em head"
instead of:
	.Bl -tag

As I did not have a chance to reinstall a recent -current, I installed
groff 1.19 and got the same warning when I format fdisk(8).

Can you format fdisk(8) without warning using groff 1.19?
--
Kazuo Horikawa