Date:      Wed, 05 Jul 2000 10:52:23 -0600
From:      Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, David Greenman <dg@root.com>, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP progress (was: Stepping on Toes)

}
}    Jake Burkholder is porting the BSD/OS mutexes.  I don't expect there
}    to be much of a difference in regards to your heavy-weight interrupt
}    work.  I'm going to take a look at Jake's patchset tonight.  I think
}    the only operational item we need to research is the sti/cli stuff in
}    the BSDI mutexes... we should be able to remove them at some point
}    (my interrupt code is already using the ipending mechanism to deal
}    with the scheduler mutex being active on the current cpu).
}
}    If Jake's removed that, then we'll want to put it back in at some point
}    since it saves a significant amount of overhead ('sti' and 'cli' are
}    expensive instructions).
}
}					-Matt
}					Matthew Dillon
}					<dillon@backplane.com>

	I believe ipending wants to go away totally. It really
isn't meaningful in the thread environment and the locked operations
needed to support it once multiple processor are running
in the kernel are more expensive the sti, cli.

Chuck