Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 1997 08:48:15 +0200
From:      "P. van Leeuwen" <pvl@nanoteq.com>
To:        "'Stefan Veith'" <stefan.veith@mail.online-club.de>, "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: printing .dvi files

-----Original Message-----
From:	Stefan Veith [SMTP:stefan.veith@mail.online-club.de]
Sent:	29 August 1997 05:12
To:	questions@freebsd.org
Subject:	TeX: printing .dvi files

-- [ From: Stefan Veith * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Hello,

I have got one question: I want to write (and finally print) something with
TeX - so I edited a text file and compiled it with LaTeX without any
problems. But when I want to edit the .dvi file (either in xdvi or in
ghostview) I always get error messages! I installed both programs via the
ports collection (so there should not be any wrong settings) and if a .tex
file is "compiled" to a .dvi file, there should not be any error either.

Why would you want to edit the .dvi file? All editing is done on the .tex file
and then compiled.
What error messages do you get?
What port did you install? If it is teTeX, you should run texconfig to set
up all TeX and related programs like xdvi and others.

One more general question about printing under FreeBSD: whenever I print
something first of all I get a page printed with information about my
computer- and user name. Is there any possiblity to turn this (mal-)
function off?

Is it a network printer? Is it connected to a printer server. What OS does the
print server run?

I'll be glad to help you if you are willing to be a little bit more specific
It always helps to give a quick description about your system, OS
version and the environment (network etc.)

Pierre

				Stefan.

P. van Leeuwen
pvl@nanoteq.com