Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:30:33 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HEADS UP: Testers required

Folks,

I've just committed (or am in the process of committing) the latest round
of changes to the DocBook handbook, and would be grateful if a few other
people could do some testing.

There are two things I'd like tested at the moment. First is the
generation of HTML, RTF, and plain text formats. Second is the generation
of PostScript and PDF formats.

To start with;

   * Install ports/textproc/docproj

   * Download (use CVSup or similar) and checkout the latest version of
     doc/en/handbook. This is the DocBook version of the Handbook.

To test the HTML generation

  There are a few things not in the docproj port that are required from
  the ports system.

     * www/tidy
     * www/lynx

  They'll be added soon. In addition, you need to cut-n-paste the
  following into doc/en/handbook/conv.pl

     #!/usr/local/bin/perl -pi
     s/&ldquo;/\`\`/g;
     s/&rdquo;/''/g;
     s/&mdash;/---/g;
     s/&ndash;/--/g;
     s/&hellip;/.../g;
     s/&dollar;/\$/g;

  (Yeah, I know this isn't seamless, I'll be tidying it up on Friday or
  Sunday night).

  Then convert the Handbook

     % cd doc/en/handbook
     % make

  Should leave you with a bunch of .html files. Load index.html into your
  browser and play around.

     % make FORMATS=html-chunk

  should make one big HTML file instead, probably ~1MB in size.

     % make FORMATS=ascii

  should make one big .txt file, and 1 big HTML file (the .txt file is
  generated from the HTML file). This depends on Lynx being installed.

     % make FORMATS=rtf

  should make one big .rtf file which you can load into your favourite
  RTF viewer (Word, Star Office, whatever).

  Any problems, please let me know.

To test PostScript and PDF generation

  Install the ports/print/jadetex port. THIS WILL INSTALL teTeX-beta if
  you haven't already got it. This is a ~ 30MB download, so you might
  not want to test this. If so, I understand. PS and PDF generation take
  a while.

  If you have installed this port, you should be able to do

     % make FORMATS=ps

  to generate a large handbook.ps file and

     % make FORMATS=pdf

  to make a PDF file. Use Ghostview to view them (or Ghostview for the PS
  and Adobe Acroread for the PDF -- Ghostview will read both formats
  though).

  This will generate some errors from Jade about undefined variables with
  'jpja' in their names. You can safely ignore these for the time being.
  It will also create from LaTeX errors on some of the TeX passes. Again,
  you can ignore these.

If you are able to successfully generate these formats with these tools,
I'd very much like to know about it.

Thanks,

	    C.R.F. Consulting -- we're run to make me richer. . .