Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2002 20:15:45 GMT
From:      paul@xciv.org (Paul Civati)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CF Geometry issues

In article <5.2.0.9.0.20021201124119.04f16660@192.168.0.12>,
	mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa) writes:

> I am trying to format a CF disk
>
> port 2 addr 2: power 100 mA, config 1, eUSB CompactFlash Adapter(0x000a),
> da0: <eUSB Compact Flash > Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
>
> I can fdisk and disklabel it no problem, but I can never seem to make it
> bootable.

I have done this, although I'm using my CF card as a direct IDE device
without going through an adapter.

ad1: 125MB <PQI ATA Rev6.0> [1000/16/16] at ata0-slave PIO1

> reading through the archives it seems a lot of people run into this issue,
> but I have not found the solution.  People talk of "faking" the geometry,
> but I am not sure other than through trial and error how to find the
> "right" geometry in order to allow me to boot from it.  The end goal being
> popping the CF into a Soekris box.

It's a while since I did it, but I made some notes:

# fdisk -BI ad3
# disklabel -w -B ad3s1 auto
# disklabel -e ad3s1
[ duplicate (c:) and adjust letter/fstype ]
# newfs /dev/ad3s1a

fdisk ad1
******* Working on device /dev/ad1 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=1000 heads=16 sectors/track=16 (256 blks/cyl)

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=1000 heads=16 sectors/track=16 (256 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 16, size 255984 (124 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 999/ head 15/ sector 16
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>