Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:33:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Bermal <mark@ieng9.ucsd.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Luc Segers <Luc.Segers@vnet.atea.be>
Subject:   Re: real newbie doubting between linux/freebsd

You seem to be a gamer type, concerning the hardware you're considering.
But the new motherboards w/ the 133 front side bus I don't think will be
released until second have of 1999, probably fall, and if you actually are
going to buy such expensive hardware, why not go all the way w/ the video
card (TNT2 is looking really good, as is Matrox G400 w/ its features)?

Also, I would keep an eye out to see when AMD K7 will be released, on
paper it looks good, but there have been no real benchmarks done. By the
way, the K6-3 isn't always faster than an equally clocked Pentium III, it
depends on the software. For applications that use a lot of floating point
calculations (e.g. 3D rendering) that aren't optimized for 3D-NOW!
instructions, a current Intel processor is always best. Best buy right now
is the Celeron, even at the lower bus speeds (despite what Intel wants you
to believe the jump from 66 to 100 MHz bus doesn't give a large
improvement). If you really want to find out more about hardware
performance, check out one of the many hardware sites
(www.tomshardware.com, www.anandtech.com, www.aceshardware.com etc)

The S3 Savage4 card probably won't be fully supported by XFree86 at its
release date, but S3 is usually very well supported, so future support is
almost certain, however waiting for support can be very annoying. As for
soundblaster, rumor has it that one of the guys from the ggi project
recently got a Creative Labs position as a driver programmer for Linux, so
supposedly there is going to support for Linux in the future, whether
FreeBSD will benefit, I dunno. It is also not known when the drivers will
be out. Even OSS hasn't gotten technical docs from Creative for
Soundblaster Live!, which really isn't a good sign. All in all, though, I
think linux is faster to support new hardware, as it gets a lot of 3rd
party support and a lot of press. I chose FreeBSD over linux however
because of linux emulation: FreeBSD can run most linux binaries with no
troubles.

I would wait until you actually are going to buy the system, and see what
hardware is supported then. Get a list of possible hardware for purchase,
some that might be supported, and some backups that are supported, that
way you can get a full working system when you install.

Mark Bermal