Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:23:59 +1000
From:      Benno Rice <benno@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Henri Michelon <Henri.Michelon@iiriam.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Toolchain

--7ZAtKRhVyVSsbBD2

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 10:33:55AM +0200, Henri Michelon wrote:
> Hello Benno,
>=20
> Great work !
> Just a question: I want to try your code on my Macs (Apple G4 & UMAX Puls=
ar)
> but i'm new to OS hacking and cross-compiling. Can you write a sort of ho=
w-to
> compile/use the ppc port ? Or just a description of your own procedure ?

Ok, firstly not all the code you need's in the repository at the moment.
There's one more commit pending, I'm just waiting on an all-clear for it.

Once you've got the code, I'm actually compiling my kernels on a Mac running
NetBSD as building the cross toolchain turned out to be too much hassle.
David O'Brien's working on the bits for a toolchain but they're not ready
yet.  If you're happy to run up NetBSD on one of your Macs though, that'll
handle building the kernel with a bit of tweakage.  It basically boils down
to differences in environment between NetBSD and FreeBSD and a few compiler
quirks that are fairly easy to work around.  The most fun part is putting
together a FreeBSD /usr/include directory to compile off, and forcing gcc
to use that.

The other option is that once I get a bit further I can probably start
putting kernel images up for download that you can try out and send me
feedback on if you want.  I'm netbooting the images at the moment, but
that's not hard to do.  It requires having a DHCP server and a TFTP server.

--=20
Benno Rice
benno@FreeBSD.org

--7ZAtKRhVyVSsbBD2