Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 22:05:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        James Gill <gill@topsecret.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD handbook, sec 18.3.3.2

James Gill wrote:

> Hi...I'm trying to understand and use the CVSup program and stay current
> with FreeBSD.  I'm reading the handbook on www.freebsd.org and I am thrown
> off by the third paragraph on section 18.3.3.2 that seems to say that the
> Modula-3 libraries will be compiled and/or installed automatically when I
> install the CVSup port.
>
> Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, so here's a summary of what I've done:
> => installed the system with a minimal install from CDs of 3.2-RELEASE
> => put make on the system (grabbed from ports/distfiles/Mk) to help
> install future programs
> => installed BIND (needs to be updated with latest version, i know)
> => system sat idle as other real-life things prioritized ahead (familiar?)
> ....and today....
> => copied cvsup-16.0.tar.gz from ftp5.freebsd.org to /usr/ports/cvsup/
>       m3build: not found
>       *** error code 127

Some of these pathnames look slightly wrong.  For example, "cvsup"
should be in "/usr/ports/net/cvsup", and "Mk" should be in
"/usr/ports/Mk".  Also you're missing some dependencies such as
"/usr/ports/lang/modula-3-lib" and "/usr/ports/lang/modula-3".  In
general if you're working with an incomplete ports tree you are likely
to run into problems.

Here's what I'd recommend.  Grab

  /pub/FreeBSD/development/CVSup/binaries/cvsup-freebsd-ix86-aout-16.0.tar.gz

from ftp.freebsd.org or any mirror site.  Untar it and follow the
instructions in the "Install" file to install it manually.  Then use
CVSup to grab yourself a complete and up-to-date ports tree, if you
wish.

John
---
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron