Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 1995 08:25:25 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au>
To:        mira!sdsp.mc.xerox.com!leisner@werple.net.au (Marty Leisner)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, jb@cimlogic.com.au
Subject:   Re: NetBSD/FreeBSD (pthreads)

Marty,

> While I find the MIT pthreads implementation quite clever,
> what I'm really looking for is pthreads within kernel space...

About 4 weeks ago I downloaded the MIT pthreads (from
sipb.mit.edu:/pub/pthreads). I was looking for POSIX thread functionality
that would let us use code that currently works under OSF/1, VxWorks and
LynxOS. Until I had a _good_ look at user-space threads, I thought that
kernel space threads were the *only* way to go. I've since changed my mind and
I think that user-space threads are worthwhile for us. So much so, we're basing
a product on them.

I'm curious about why you *need* kernel threads. If it's fast context switching
you need, then a SIGVTALRM followed by either a longjmp or a sigreturn is
pretty quick.

If you end up trying to use the MIT threads, watch out! We ended up completely
retructuring the code to a more sane (IMHO) implementation.

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au                          119 Cecil Street