Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 20:56:21 +0200
From:      Steve Mazerski <smazerski@yahoo.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "Base system" applications, files (newby-ish questions)

Hi,

I administer a few Linux / Solaris boxes. Unfortunately my
Linux distributions of choice (I won't mention names, but they
are provided by commercial operations) are suffering from
"bloat creep" with each new version. One in particular seems
to have taken it into its head that its main market is dual-booting
Windows convertees and is alas making it increasingly difficult
to use without installing X...

So, I'm on the lookout for viable alternatives and have just installed
FreeBSD on a development box. I'm very impressed (among others by
the handling of the inetd configuration) and will be trying=20
it out intensively in the next few days.

In the meantime I have a couple of questions. Apologies if they
are newby-ish, but I haven't found any answers anywhere else:

1. "Base system" applications

not quite sure what the technical term is, but FreeBSD installs a
certain number of applications as part of the basic installation.
Is there any way of generating an overview (a la pkg_info) of which
applications / versions thereof are installed?

2. Removing same

There are certain situations when I, in my capacity as omniescent
quasi deity and system administrator decide in my infinite wisdom
that certain vital applications have to be replaced. This occurs
from time to time with OpenSSH :-(. Now, I can download and install
a current version with pkg_add, which does of course not replace
the original version, and ensure that the new version is run
(by setting the sshd_variable in /etc/rc.conf??). However the original
files are still there, pricking my paranoid conscience. Is
there any "elegant" way of deinstalling these files apart from tracking t=
hem=20
down by hand?

3. .cshrc and .profile in /

Is there any reason for these files to be in the root directory?

4. Duplicated command files

I notice in several places identical commands, e.g. /bin/ln , /bin/link
or /bin/[ , /bin/test exist as identical duplicate files. Is there any re=
ason
for this, or for not implementing the duplicates as links?

Thanks

Steve Mazerski