Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 19:43:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   CPU type settings problems, suggestion

Dear Sirs.

Again, I run into light problems with setting CPUTYPE in /etc/make.conf.
The history:

We use several machines with DUAL CPUs, some Intel chip based servers and
several machines with AMD Duron (our X terminals) and AMD TBird CPUs. On
each 'architecture' I compile the appropriate kernel and base system with
CPUTYPE set to the right architecture. And for each package out of the port's
tree I use this option, too.

All boxes running FreeBSD 4.3-RC as cvsupdated these days, the last update
was done today. Mk-base has been updated also, the ports-collection was deleted
and reinstalled twice this day!

Fact: On Intel based systems I can compile _each_ packet with CPUTYPE set to
'pentiumpro', that means for us for the appropriate architecture. On AMD based
system this is not working today! I had to disable the CPUTYPE tag in /etc/make.conf
to compile packages (I did so with XFree86-4, gimp1 (?), Mesa3). I come alongside
with this problem and switch between nothing and k7/k6 for packages that will not
compile with CPUTYPE set on AMD machines. If it is disabled, all things run all right!

My suggestion:

FreeBSD now has two switches for kernel compilation and other stuff, base system of
the UNIX included. We should migrate to three switches: one for kernel compilation,
a second for the OS as we do it recently, and a third for stuff out of the ports
collection.
I can compile both kernel and the base UNIX with the appropriate CPU switch set,
but not serveral ports.
Each machine does not share its kernel! Each machine should not share its basic
System, butwithin our system's architecture and organisation we share several
filesystems with packages to keep all system 'on the same status' (means up to date).
I think many others do so, too.

For the time FreeBSD will really take profits from real optimisations by setting
CPUTYPE, kernel and base OS should be tuned up to its limits by that way (or as
the Gurus want us to be tuned). But the ports should also be 'tuned' or 'not tuned'
by an individual switch.

Sorry about my english, hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain.

Thanks,
Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)