Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 1995 21:23:59 -0700
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@clark.net>, bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: originally a newsgroup post, but news server here isn't working

In message <1394.803179968@whisker.internet-eireann.ie>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" wr
ites:
>This *is* with the latest 2.0.5R "UPDATES" boot floppy?  As Gary
>announced on the <announce@FreeBSD.org> mailing list, we initially
>made a mistake with 4MB machines and overflowed our maximum allowable
>kernel size.  Gary pared things back down again at the last moment and
>stuck a boot boot floppy in place.  If it's still dying WITH that
>floppy, then we definitely want to know about it as it means that the
>problem hasn't been fixed!

Just to let people know, the new boot floppy DOES work - I've just
installed 2.0.5-RELEASE (from an updated floppy) on a 4Mb 486DX2 66
with an Adaptec 1540C card WITHOUT PROBLEM. However, it does have a
4Gb hard drive (it's one of our CDROM burner boxes, so it needs lots
of disk space to hold CDROM images), so I gave it 32Mb swap space. If
I can find a machine which I can spam a lot without affecting peoples
work here, I'll see what the minumum swap you can have on a 4Mb
machine is without sysinstall falling over.

N.B. As I know the install system BACKWARDS, I didn't reference
(i.e. look at) any docs. This may be a crucial point as the way the
docs are loaded is, err, interesting.

Gary