Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 07:11:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trash Voxware? (was Re: rvplayer requires pcm for stable)

[ stable dropped as per JHK's suggestion ]

On 15-Oct-98 Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>> I really don't understand the eagerness to drop Voxware at this point in
>> time.
>> Is it simply for the lack of maintainer?
>
> "simply" ? I am amazed, do people understand that the system is
> evolving so if a module works _now_ it does not mean it will work
> forever without mainteinance ?

OK, maybe a poor choice of words.  I meant "simply" in the sense of "only", as
in, "if this is the only reason, then what we need to do is get someone to
maintain the code".

I would gladly volunteer, as I think it's well worth maintaining at this time,
but I really don't think I'm up to the task (for that matter, I would gladly
offer to help add MIDI functionality to the new driver as well, if only).  My
knowledge of the lower-level workings of FreeBSD (and of soundcards in general)
leaves *much* to be desired.

I *am* interested, nonetheless, in finding out more about what's involved in
maintaining a module, and about device drivers in general.  Any resources?

And Luigi, I hope you don't take any of this personally.  I just can't do
without MIDI.  :-)

--
Conrad Sabatier

Arithmetic is being able to count up to twenty without taking off your
shoes.
                -- Mickey Mouse