Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2006 10:35:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill-Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        Johan Johansen <Johan.Johansen@cc.uit.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: atapicam trouble (me too)

At Sun, 10 Sep 2006 it looks like Johan Johansen composed:

> I run 6.1-STABLE-200607 on my brand new box with
> Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2 x 2,40 GHz cpu (beautiful piece of machinery)
>
> I can use my dvd-devices with atapicd, but atapicam do not work.
>
> kldload atapicam causes an interrupt storm, I guess.
> I tried to take out atapicd from the kernel after reading
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/73675
> In fact, I removed ataraid atapifd atapist too, without any luck.
>
> Here is output from top -S a few seconds after kldload atapicam
>
> last pid:   600;  load averages:  0.24,  0.24,  0.11                        up
> 0+00:02:36  11:27:53
> 88 processes:  5 running, 64 sleeping, 19 waiting
> CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system, 43.8% interrupt, 56.2% idle
> Mem: 22M Active, 9604K Inact, 28M Wired, 15M Buf, 1943M Free
> Swap: 4070M Total, 4070M Free
>
>   PID USERNAME  THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
>    11 root        1 171   52     0K     8K RUN    1   2:03 99.26% idle: cpu1
>    12 root        1 171   52     0K     8K RUN    0   1:54 62.26% idle: cpu0
>    22 root        1 -64 -183     0K     8K CPU0   0   0:09 36.41% irq16: uhci0+
>    31 root        1 -68 -187     0K     8K WAIT   1   0:01  0.00% irq19: re0
> uhci3++
>
> Could anyone point me in a direction too solve this, please?

I was just messing with this with a very good PLEXTOR DVD-RW drive,
tried to rebuild the kernel with only "device atapicam" and there
was some issues, for some strange reason, the system wedged, then
tried to read the drive's contents at boot time, and then I lost my
X resolution upon booting back into KDE, I was there with only what
amounted to 800x600 (actually something weirder than that) and could
NOT restore my X session, tried to reconfigure X -- nada.

The machine is triple booted with three different drives, X worked
fine on the other variants -- I thought the integrated video_chip
went bad, that was not the case, just 6.1 was bad, that was a
bittersweet relief.

When I did try to start X in the beginning the whole system wedged,
could not understand why just adding the "device atapicam" line to a
new kernel would do this, something got corrupted.

I was getting "perfect" config files with "Xorg -configure" and no
matter what, nothing now.

Isn't 6.2 coming out soon?