Date:      Sat, 01 Mar 1997 15:59:01 -0800
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Terminals and environments

This tends to be two questions in one. I gather that they are closely
related, therefore they both appear in one posting.

Pointing me to the correct resource will be much appreciated. I seem to
be reading in circles on the topic of terminal types and the users
environment.

I am a bash user.

As I understand (misunderstand?) things. Please correct me if need be.

  tty = terminal type or terminal device.

  Init starts a terminal via getty for login.

  tty is connected (for lack of a better word) to the standard
input.

  After login the the users login file (.profile in my case) can be
used   to set the terminal type.

  My environment is established entirely by my .profile. (I am
suspicous   that this is false.)

  If I have my keyboard plugged in that is all that is necessary for
having input processed correctly. (I suspect this to be false as
well.)

Having said the above here are my troubles.

My environment somehow changes when I start X using startx. I noticed
this because my aliases that I established in my .profile no longer
function. By what mechanism is my environment changed when I start X?

I seem to be stumbling upon some arbitrary changes of environment. I
doubt however that the change is arbitrary but is determined by some
code that is unknown to me. What actions does a user perform that end up
resulting in a change of environment? More specifically, are there
events other than login that change my environment without my knowing
that my environment is being changed?

When I telnet to my university account I am able to login. After login
some commands execute and some commands return "unknown terminal type:
cons25." I guess that I have to set some terminal type in my
environment. How do I change the type of terminal that I use? What
actions does a user perform that result in a change of terminal type?

How do I get my delete key to delete the current character position
instead of the previous character position? Perhaps this is a DOS-ism
but dammit that is how the delete should work. This little detail causes
me mucho aggravation.
--
 __   __
/ 0\ / 0\         Thank you * Highperformance.net