Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 98 11:38:07 CST
From:      hykel@yoda.eng.hou.compaq.com (Richard Hykel)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what does MMX mean?

I have already replied to Archie, but perhaps the list might be
interested in this part also.

According to the FAQ from Intel's developer website,
http://developer.intel.com/drg/mmx/Support/faq.htm,  MMX(TM)
is not an acronym.  They filed for a trade mark world wide, and
probably already received it in most cases.

But to answer what you really appear to be looking for, MMX(TM)
is the trademarked name for the technology that is used to speed
up matrix math.  There are new matrix math instructions and registers
available on processors with MMX(TM) technology.

Check out http://developer.intel.com/drg/news/class3/sld031.htm
and search their website for 'MMX' and 'matrix math'

The information that I found referenced integer operations only.

It appears that << Archie Cobbs >> wrote:

> What, exactly, does MMX mean?
>
> Does it mean the processor has NEW instructions for DSP type operations?
> Does it speed up EXISTING instructions? Integer or floating point (or both)?
>
> Thanks,
> -Archie

> Archie Cobbs   *   Whistle Communications, Inc.  *   http://www.whistle.com

Richard Hykel                       Compaq Computer Corporation
hykel@twisto.compaq.com
Disclamer: Opinions expressed are my own, not Compaq's.