Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:14:30 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD Documenters <doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Finally!  O'Reilly's gmat package is usable

A month or so back I sent a message describing O'Reilly's gmat
package, which is what they use for creating their books.  It converts
DocBook into troff and then formats it.  Until yesterday, it sort of
limped, but it wasn't really useful enough to do anything with.  Now
I have found the bug and fixed it, and I think it's reasonable to say
that it produces good quality output.  It doesn't understand the
FreeBSD extensions to DocBook, of course, but it's possible that it
could be done.

Documentation is sparse; there's no man page, but one of the patches
creates a file /usr/ports/textproc/gmat/work/gmat-0.2.4/gmat.sgm,
which describes how to use it.  I don't much like the interface:
instead of using Makefiles, they have a thing called a BOOKFILE, which
is administered with various perl incantations.  Actually running the
formatter is relatively complicated, but you can get an overview with
the 'gmat' command and no arguments.

Greg