Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 08:27:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@biblioteca.campus.unal.edu.co>
To:        Adam David <adam@veda.is>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: WAIS doesn`t require gmake

On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Adam David wrote:

> When Isite has been wrapped as a port, this version of wais can be folded into
> the GN port, unless someone comes up with a convincing reason to keep it.
>
> --

Adam:
I agree, Isite will eventually replace WAIS, but we are experimenting
with ISIS-freeWAIS (ftp://ftp.nis.garr.it/pub/). Since ISIS is SCO
compatible, and it generates binary files, it is a perfect add-in to
FreeBSD. Using ISIS implies replacing our 2GB database on AIX with a
200MB database on FreeBSD!

We are not sure this combination will work (it seems there may be
differences between Unix-ISIS and DOS-ISIS) but anyway this version (or
freeWAIS-sf) should replace the current WAIS.
Keeping WAIS as a port may be important for adding WAIS access to lynx,
gopherd, and CERN`s httpd. Is there a way to provide conditional
compilation for these ports?  Perhaps an <<if `FreeWAIS port available` then
`additional patches`>> scheme?

Pedro.
National University of Colombia`s Library