Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:54:16 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "Brian T. Allen" <brian@gzmarketing.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Nigel Taylor <latifa@iinet.net.au>
Subject:   Re: Cvsup and ports

--8vCeF2GUdMpe9ZbK

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 09:32:42AM -0700, Brian T. Allen wrote:
> I am a newbie, and I just went through this.  I installed 4.2 from ISO, t=
hen
> did a CVSup and got that same error.  It said to look at Q12 and Q13, whi=
ch
> I did.  I missed the answer the first time, but it IS there.
>=20
> My solution was to just delete the entire ports directory (which took
> forever!  I am coming from Linux and deleting that much would have taken
> 1/10th the time.  Perhaps it is in my SCSI config...) and then CVSup, whi=
ch

Linux mounts the filesystems in a very dangerous mode (async) by
default.  You can do this on FreeBSD too, but you will probably lose
data, possibly even the entire partition, if things crash
unfortuitously.  Enable SOFTUPDATES instead, which is almost as fast
as async, but with none of the dangers.

Kris

--8vCeF2GUdMpe9ZbK

--8vCeF2GUdMpe9ZbK--