Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 01:15:53 +0100
From:      Emre Bastuz <info@emre.de>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>, freebsd-isp <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Solaris vs. FreeBSD in High Traffic Environments

Hi Tom,

>   I think it is important to define what "high traffic" is.  10Mbps
> sustained?  30Mbps?  Percentage of dynamic content?

high traffic means about 300 GB/month worth of static content in this case.

>>Themachine got offline twice within 48 hours (the Solaris box had never
>>crashed), thatīs why some tweeking on the kernel and other parameters
>>was done. Since then the server is performing great.
>   How did it crash?

When the box first crashed there was no tweaking done on the kernel.
I just had tuned up the number of max users.

After running for about an hour, the machine did not respond network wise.
No ping, ssh connect, etc..

After about 30 minutes it was back there again. There had been no reboot -
it seems that just the network went down and took some time to recover,
/var/log/messages saying something about "limiting RST response from xxx to 200".

The second crash occured after some minor tunings. After three hours
it went offline for 10 minutes, the same way as before.

Now, after having read some docs on further tuning it seems I have
find the most suitable settings.

The webserver is running for 5 days without any incident :-)

Iīm still curious what caused the outage though ...

Regards,

Emre

--
Emre Bastuz