Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 12:08:21 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Ross Potts <rpotts@med.osd.mil>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -RELEASE and -STABLE

Ross Potts wrote:

> I was wondering why there aren't two releases of each version (only when it
> comes out new mind you) to be pressed on CD.  I know they are available for
> download as -RELEASE (which always needs pathes) and -STABLE(which incorporates
> most of the patches up to a certain date).
>
> Are there -STABLE releases available on CD?  I was just wondering, since I
> subscribed to Walnut Creeks's program.
>
> Or am I mistaken and does this dual release exist outside of the FTP
> environment?

	Keeping in mind that I am not part of and don't speak for the FreeBSD
team, I think you misunderstand the meanings of "Release" and "Stable"
as they apply here. When a "-Release" version of FreeBSD is stamped onto
a CD, that code is frozen in time, and anything that is called (for
example) 2.2.5-Release will always be the same. In the time period
before and after that point in the development of the code that the
-Release is taken from, there are changes (almost always improvements :)
being made all the time. The 2.2* branch of FreeBSD is called -Stable
because the changes that are committed to it should be (you guessed it)
stable. That is, they should have been thoroughly tested before they are
committed, and anyone downloading -Stable on a given day should have a
high degree of certainty that it will work.

	Are you seeing the distinction?  A -Release version will always be the
same thing, forever. A 2.2.5-Stable version that you download today will
be the same on your machine, but the 2.2.5-Stable version I download
tomorrow will very likely contain some small differences. When enough
differences/improvements have accumulated, it's time for a new -Release
version, and the FreeBSD project is working on that now. That's why
there are no -Stable CD's. By the time it's time for a new one of those,
we call it -Release. :)

Hope this helps,

Doug
--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest