Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 16:59:01 -0400
From:      dave@hawk-systems.com (Dave)
To:        "Todd Reed" <ex279@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DUMPing entire File System

do a df -k to view your partitions and mount points...

you have /, /usr, /var, /whateverelse...

from my understanding (and I'll be the first to admit I have never really looked
too deeply into this) is that dump dumps partitions...

ie your dump command is dumping the root filesystem ( / )
if you want to dump the entire usr file system you would need to dump /usr
and so forth.

Currently this is the way that we run our dumps... (or should that read "take a
dump")

dump -3u -a -f /backup/root /
dump -3u -a -f /backup/var /var

Dave