Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:48:58 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Error: your port uses an old layout.

This is getting to be a common error message and many users are
seeking help for it:

  Error: your port uses an old layout.  Please update it to match this
  bsd.port.mk. If you have updated your ports collection via cvsup and
  are still getting this error, see Q12 and Q13 in the cvsup FAQ on
  http://www.polstra.com for further information.

Problem is, I've read Q12 and Q13 and I can't figure out what to do.  So
if I can't, what chance does a newbie?

1 - what should people be doing with Q12 and Q13 given that a person
is now on 4.3-RC2 and were on 4.0R?

2 - Perhaps this will be answered by Q1, but:  Lately, the most common
solution I've seen hadned out is rm -rf /usr/ports and cvsup again. Not
only is that a huge waste of bandwidth, it's also a huge burdon on those
with dial up connections.  Is there a more practical solution?

--
Dan Langille
pgpkey - finger dan@unixathome.org | http://unixathome.org/finger.php