Date:      Fri, 04 Feb 2005 19:08:35 -0800
From:      Joaquin Menchaca <linuxuser@finnovative.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Leaving FreeBSD for Linux - Please Don't Hurt Me

In some ways I feel saddened, as I like FreeBSD.  However, I can
sympathize with you.  I tried different Linux distros, and they are far
far far easier to configure and setup, than FreeBSD.  They have nice
intuitive graphical facilities.

On the negative side of things for Linux, some distros (not all of them)
are very insecure.  I noticed insecure older versions of tools like
OpenSSL, ISCA DHCP, SAMBA, etc. included with the distros like RedHat.
These should be updated ASAP, either through the pay facility or
do-it-yourself.  It's hard to keep track of what stuff they added, and
what is broken/insecure.  I think that with Linux, you have to become
knowledgeable on how to harden and secure the system.  I feel that
FreeBSD seems a bit more secure out of the getgo.

I personally use both FreeBSD and Linux at home.  I like the ports
directory and I like the security common-sense emphasis in FreeBSD.  I
feel more comfortable with it being a server.  Because of this, I have
FreeBSD as the server, and Linux as the development/desktop system.

For Linux, I professionally (work environ) like SuSE, but lot of places
use RedHat. Personally, I like gentoo.  But then I have 64-bit computers
(amd64, ppc, and ultra sparc) and I can roll out a buff 64-bit system,
which makes a big difference in performance on Intel platform, i.e. amd.

  --- joaquin