Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 96 18:21:04 PST
From:      "Brett Glass" <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot boot after install

Here is the latest on the Zeos with the Seagate ST5660A drive.

First, I found out why it wouldn't go above 1024/16/63. There's a jumper on
the drive that limits it to that. When I removed the jumper, I was able to
get 1057/16/63 in the BIOS. (Why Zeos did not remove the jumper, I do not
know. When I called their tech support line, the tech was rude and insisted
that the drive didn't have any more space on it.)

I then installed Caldera Network Desktop, which is built on top of an
enhanced version of Red Hat Linux. It *did* work and did not crash. One of
the boot messages from the kernel seemed significant. It said something
like:

ide0: Buggy RZ1000 chip: Disabling read-ahead

This could be related to the problem.

If this *is* the problem, code to fix it ought to be available in the Red
Hat Linux distribution, or so I would imagine.

[Note: Caldera decided to treat the drive as 528/32/63. Not sure why it
needs to do that under UNIX. But the translation is one of those listed by
Seagate in the docs, and it works with only a slight loss of space.]

In any event, if my intution is correct here, I can't get FreeBSD running
until the read-aheads are disabled. (No, there's no jumper for this on
the drive, just as there is no jumper to turn off "green" mode. It's got
to be set via IDE.)

--Brett

P.S. -- I do like FreeBSD's configuration and installation routines much
better than the ones that come with Caldera, by the way. That visual
configuration editor saves a lot of pain.