Date:      03 Jan 2003 19:55:26 -0800
From:      Justin Hopper <jhopper@spry.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mysterious problem with ldconfig and ld

This may be a very simple fix, but so far I've found no solution.  Just
installed expat-1.95.5 in a FreeBSD 4.4 machine.  The install went fine,
and I verified that ldconfig had picked up the library:

host# ldconfig -r | grep expat
73:-lexpat.4 => /usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.4

However, I need to install other packages that require the expat
library, and the configuration fails stating that the expat library
cannot be found.  In fact, just a simple test fails:

host# ld -lexpat
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lexpat

I made sure any previous installations of expat were nuked and all files
deleted.  And the /usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.4 does exist:

higherinnovation# ll /usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.4
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  294728 Jan  3 19:44
/usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.4

If ldconfig has an entry for the library and is pointing correctly, what
is the problem?

Maybe I've just been staring at this for too long.....

Any help would be appreciated.
--
Justin Hopper
jhopper@spry.com