Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:31:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Jenkins <mjenkins@carp.gbr.epa.gov>
To:        billf@chc-chimes.com, terry@dcomm.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP masqurading

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998 Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Terry Ewing wrote:
>
> > People here are thinking of putting our co-located computers behind a
> > FreeBSD IPFW firewall.  At the same time they were thinking of giving the
> > co-located servers 192.168.x.x IP's so they can be removed if we go through
> > renumbering.  We'd just masquerade the real IP to the 192.168 IP in the
> > firewall.
> >
> > Can anyone arm me with a good reason why we shouldn't do this?
>
> Because giving (paying) colocated server internal IPs is degrading the
> QoS. Some UDP and other programs don't work with it.

If he used static NAT (many-to-many) (as he suggested in the last sentence
of paragraph 1) instead of IP Masquerade (many-to-one) (as his subject line
suggested) he should be ok.  Of course, he will have to use a split-DNS
to keep the inside servers happy.

If the external addresses change (new provider?), he can change the NAT
table and the external DNS, but won't have to reconfigure the internal hosts.

Mike