Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:34:11 +0100
From:      "Steiner, Bernard" <Bernard.Steiner@lahmeyer.de>
To:        <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GNOME's newbiew woes and rantings

=20
> Some processes (of which I am not sure what they are supposed to be =
doing) seem to grab a CPU
> and just increase its core temperature as a CPUhog.

  PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU =
COMMAND
 1611 bs            1 112    0 24376K  4904K CPU1   0   2:12 99.74% =
bonobo-activation-s

I can send this a signal 9 no problem...
Then I get a nice pop-up telling me, for e.g., that the panel encontered =
a problem blah and unfortunately the rest is now illegible
and refuses to be re-drawn. This, I click the upper right X to close the =
error pop-up and get
quote
 "Error" is not responding.
 You may choose to wait a short while for it to continue or force the =
application to quit entirely. [Wait] [Force Quit].

Great... [Force Quit]

Now I only have a nice
  PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU =
COMMAND
 1655 bs            1 120    0 24680K  5024K CPU1   0   5:15 100.05% =
bonobo-activation-s

How the hell does this thing manage to eat 100% CPU when the manual =
explains that it "reads files" ?
Liars...

Okay, so I killed that one as well.

> Some processes SEGV on me straight away (abiword, some screen savers, =
and others which I haven't the foggiest idea what they are supposed to =
do). The number of *.core files I got since I started on GNOME simply =
amazes me.

Most of the screen savers SEGV on me. I'll go and disable them, shall I.
Maybe that might get rid of most of the *core

Also I will follow the FAQ's hints on device permissions etcetera and =
see whether that improves things. There's just trivial stuff that
baffles me, like the FAQ mentions ways of doing things to nautilus while =
at the same time I have no clue what nautilus is (apart from
being under the command of Captain Nemo, of course):
man nautilus
No manual entry for nautilus

Horray for that...

abiword still crashes; this is
FreeBSD grimma 6.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #12: Thu Jan 17 =
21:46:02 CET 2008     root@grimma:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GRIMMA  amd64
and ports are up to date:
abiword --version
GNOME AbiWord-2.4 2.4.6

will also try and get a serial console working to catch the odd panic() =
which now I assume gets lost because the console is in X11 GNOME =
graphics mode

Bernard