Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 13:19:08 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>, "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Stable branch

On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 11:36:05PM -0400, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:
>
> > Now your earlier proposal makes better sense.  At lot more for the
> > CVS-meisters to deal with, but they can answer that magic question.
> > Also may be an issue to branch old releases, then it might be worth
> > doing all the branching at one time and disallowing access.
>
> Well, at least for the purposes of the release engineer, the major change
> is adding a "-b" to the CVS tag operation.  However, and important
> question, which you raised in a prior e-mail, is whether or not this
> places an undue burden on CVS due to expensive branch handling.  My hope
> is that it would be not, but presumably a CVS meister (Peter?) should
> enlighten us.

In CVS, the extra load for creating a branch tag instead of a point tag is
two bytes per file.  However, in order to do this right we should also have
a branch point tag.  The cost for this is approx 30 bytes per file.  I do
not think the load on teh cvsup servers will increase problamatically (we'd
be able to measure it, but I don't think we'd notice it unless we
specifically went looking.)

Warner's technique of adding the branch tag for only those files we actually
modify would negate the 30-byte cost, but I don't think it is worthwhile.
If we want to negate that cost, it'd be better to mod CVS to be able to
easily reference the base of a branch tag (as the branch point tag is done
to get around problems in the CVS user interface.)

Eivind.