Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 21:44:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org (Simon Shapiro)
Cc:        rjesup@wgate.com (Randell Jesup), freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I/O Evaluation Questions (Long but interesting!)

Simon Shapiro wrote...
> "Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:
> >
> > Simon Shapiro wrote...

> > >   [  Am using Netscape Messenger.  Know not how to do that
> > >      (no relevant preference found :-( ]
> >
> > My best guess is, go to:
> >
> > Edit -> Preferences -> Navigator -> Languages
> >
> > And make sure you at least have English defined there.  Also, go to:
> >
> > View -> Character Set
> >
> > And make sure you've got Western (ISO-8559-1) defined.
>
> How's that?  (sorry for the spam...)

Much better, thanks.

> > > These numbers are for block devices.  The kernel obviously
> > > caches some of this.  I should look next time at emory usage;
> > > The machine has 1GB of memory. The dataset is about 15GB per
> > > array.
> >
> > Is that for random or sequential I/O?  With sequential I/O, you would
> > probably blow away any caching effects.  With random I/O, though, you might
> > get significant help from the cache, especially with that much RAM.
>
> Random, of course.

Okay, that fits the results.

> To stay architectually minded, please consider these thoughts:
>
> Increasing the workers load in this test increases measured
> throughput (which is to be expected).  However, past about
> 400 concurrent workers, performance declines rapidly.
> At about 600 the system simply goes nuts.  Processes exit
> or hang solidly without any warnings.
> Must be some resources to be increased.  How is the
> ftp.cdrom.com kernel configured?  This may help me.

wcarchive's configuration might help somewhat (whatever it is), but it is
operating with a very different load than the one you're using.  It has
~~5000 users, and pushes out I think somewhere in the neighborhood of
100-150Mbits/sec of data.  (DG would know for sure.)  And it's almost all
reads.

You're pushing 130-170Mbytes/sec of data, which is about 8 times more, with
a fraction of the processes.

You may be running into context switch overhead, or who knows what else.
The hangs, though, are not good.

> > > Raw disks perfromance is totally throttled by physics;
> > > We are running at about 200% of Seagate specs.
> >
> > How can you run at 200% of the spec?  Most of the time disk manufacturers
> > are even a little optimistic about their high end performance.
>
> I suspect caching on the disk.  I also know the DPT
> firmware, while claiming not to do READ caching, does some
> very interesting things with sorting, queuing, tagging, etc.
> This is worth the difference.  More or less.
>
> BTW, I am not looking at claimed benchmarks from the mfgs.
> I am looking at what tends to be accurately reported;
> Sek times, internal transfer rates, data sheets timing
> specs, etc.

I've found that the transfer rates are sometimes accurate.  For instance,
I've got an IBM Ultrastar 9ZX, which IBM claims can do 10-17MB/sec:

http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/hddtech/fedspd.pdf

That's about right, from what I've seen.  The low end may even be a little
lower than the actual performance.

Another thing you can do is benchmark one disk, and then compare that with
the throughput you get from the array.

It could be that the combination of the DPT controller's 256MB cache and
fancy queueing, and your 1GB of RAM is causing the amazingly fast disk speeds.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org