Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 1998 02:26:42 -0500
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycorc@idt.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   COM port detection

I have a Toshiba Tecra 750, and am running FreeBSD 2.2.5-BETA.
The built-in COM1 port (sio0) was not being detected.
Upon investigation, I found that it was failing probe tests 5 and 8,
which look for the removal of the interrupt in the interrupt
controller after interrupts are cleared or disabled in the COM port.

I tried adding more delay (10x) to the DELAY() call in front of these
tests, but it didn't help.  So I tried just commenting out tests
5 and 8, and the port gets detected.  I hooked up a modem to the
COM port and found I could 'talk' to the modem.  From my quick test
everything seems okay - except I do get one strange-looking message
during boot:
sio0: 64 events for device with no tp

What is a "tp" ?

Am I the first one to have this problem?

Although I have "solved" the problem for the time being, I would
rather not have to put a kludge in the code.  But since the result
just doesn't seem to be what the tests expects, I'm not sure what
"fix" can be put in the code other than not performing the checks...  :-(

Any ideas/comments?

Thanks,
Gary