Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 16:27:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        clash@tasam.com (Joe Gleason)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AIC-7895 in Stable? Where did Cam go? Can I fit entire message in subject line?

Joe Gleason wrote...
> I'm trying to get my AIC-7895 onboard controler on my Iwill DBS100 board
> working without going to 3.0-beta.
>
> Does anyone know when the AIC-7895 chipset will be in stable?

Chipsets don't come with the operating system.  Support for various pieces
of hardware does come with the OS.  There will never be support for the
aic-7895 in the 2.2-stable tree.

> I think it is in current, but I really don't want to goto current on my
> primary server.

CAM was integrated into current several weeks ago, so yes, there is support
for the 7895 in -current.

> I read back in the list archive and found the AIC-7895 is supported in CAM
> and I have found this to be true.  I am now running 2.2CAM-19980716-SNAP
> with this board and it works great.

So what's the problem?  It works great, and you aren't running -current...

> What happened to CAM?  It seems to have
> dissappeared from the ftp sites.

It was moved.  The new URL is:

ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/development/cam

> I assume it was assimilated into current.

Yes.

> What will happen if I cvsup 2.2CAM-19980716-SNAP?  With support for my SCSI
> still work?  (I will find the answer to this one in a few hours through
> experimentation)

You can't cvsup "2.2CAM-19980716-SNAP".  You can cvsup -current, -stable,
or the CVS tree, but you can't cvsup something that was never checked into
cvs.

If you cvsup the 2.2-stable tree and rebuild, you will lose support for
your 7895.

As far as a new 2.2-stable CAM snapshot, that won't happen until after 3.0
comes out.  (i.e. after October 15th)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry