Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 10:13:56 +0200
From:      "Andre Goeree" <abgoeree@uwnet.nl>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error: your port uses an old layout.

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 07:48:58PM +1200, Dan Langille wrote:
> This is getting to be a common error message and many users are
> seeking help for it:
>
>   Error: your port uses an old layout.  Please update it to match this
>   bsd.port.mk. If you have updated your ports collection via cvsup and
>   are still getting this error, see Q12 and Q13 in the cvsup FAQ on
>   http://www.polstra.com for further information.
>
> Problem is, I've read Q12 and Q13 and I can't figure out what to do.  So
> if I can't, what chance does a newbie?
>
> 1 - what should people be doing with Q12 and Q13 given that a person
> is now on 4.3-RC2 and were on 4.0R?
>
> 2 - Perhaps this will be answered by Q1, but:  Lately, the most common
> solution I've seen hadned out is rm -rf /usr/ports and cvsup again. Not
> only is that a huge waste of bandwidth, it's also a huge burdon on those
> with dial up connections.  Is there a more practical solution?

I use this little filter to convert a checkouts file to a file list of
the files that should be on disk (live files):

# convert the checkout file to a file-list
cat checkouts_file | sed 's/^C /XXX /' |grep -w XXX | \
        awk '{print $2}' |sed 's/,v//' |sort |uniq

Then i roll a tarball:
tar cvf /wherever/tarball --files-from /list/created/above

It works great :-) Suppose you had a out of date ports tree:
roll a tarball of the directory as described above, rm -f your
portsdir and untar the tarball you created, ready!

If someone is interested i could mail them the complete script.
I use it to make backups of my CVSupped stuff, you could make a backup
of /usr/src while building world without missing a file or adding too
much, it's way cool! (only thing is i should optimize the script).

--Andre.