Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 2003 19:59:07 -0800
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Stability

On Thursday, Jan 2, 2003, at 17:17 US/Pacific, Mark wrote:

> What is it that makes people rave about the longest uptime? To me,
> this is
> just a list of sites whose admins have neglected to perform the
> necessary
> upgrade-maintenances, seemingly for almost three years even. To me,
> this is
> just a list of potentially vulnerable sites.

Yeah, I've always felt the same way.  If you're making runtime changes
to your systems without testing that they restart properly, you're
asking for disaster sooner or later; especially as you stack update
upon update.  If you're not performing updates at all, you have other
issues.

What's really significant is the (lowest) number of *unscheduled*
restarts; unfortunately, that's not easily posted on a scoreboard.

KeS