Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 20:28:18 -0700
From:      "Schrodinger's Cat" <schrodingers_cat@m-b-o.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        toivonen@europa.com
Subject:   Logical DOS Partitions

Dear Sirs,

I have followed the installation process for FBSD 2.1 (i386) VERY carefully and am having some troubles.

My machine:

Cyrix 486DX100
VESA MB
Diamond SVGA
16MB RAM
Hard Drive C: - 840MB EIDE
Hard Drive D: - 200MB IDE
HD Controller - EIDE
Misumi ATAPI CDROM

I configured d:/ with a small DOS Partition (5mb) and gave the rest to FreeBSD using your "novice"
installation menu from view.exe.

What I intended to do is install FreeBSD onto the smaller D: drive and leave C: untouched. Hoping
that I would be able to select between the two drives, and the OS's they hold, at boot up.
I followed the directions in what I thought was a correct manner and upon completion/reboot I get a
blank system screen with only a "NO ROM BIOS LOADED" message in the upper right corner.
Subsequent reboots result in the same unless I use a DOS formatted boot floppy.
What I assume is happening is that the install program is overwriting the boot sector of C: where I
have Win95 installed exclusively. I have tested the drive geometry for both drives and have found no
discrepencies with what the install program states. I have also tried several installations with/without
the various "bootmanager" options. All with the same effect. Fortunately I am always able to recover by
reinstalling Win95 onto c: (the FAT remains unharmed) and can subsequently boot into FreeBSD
by use of a floppy created by makeflp.
However, at the "boot:" prompt I have to enter wd(1,a)/kernel to bypass the "view" program.
This convoluted method seems to work except that I constantly get "not enough disk space" errors when
trying to view man pages even though there is over 100mb of free space on the FBSD partition.

Should I delete the DOS partitions while in the label editor program part of the installation??
Or will such an action litteraly delete those partitions even to DOS??

Please offer any advice that you can think of. Or perhaps relay to me a good book on the
subject that I can purchase somewhere.

Thank You,
Anthony Toivonen

--
*-*-* This text printed on 100% recycled electrons!       *-*-*