Date:      Sat, 1 Mar 1997 20:35:13 -0500
From:      Dan Welch <WELCHDW@wofford.edu>
To:        QUESTIONS@FREEBSD.org
Subject:   mail coming in, not going out

Machines on which I install FBSD 2.1.5 and 2.1.6 from the distribution
cdrom's are unable to send mail to other machines on the local
network.

The failure mode is that the outgoing messages are queued with this
error message in them:

MDeferred: Name server: gp.dept.net.: host name lookup failure

The network is isolated, contains FreeBSD machines only, does not
run DNS, and has all addresses in /etc/hosts on every machine.
Incoming mail works fine, as do rlogin, telnet, and ftp. My sendmail
m4 configuration file specifies FEATURE(nodns) and the order in
/etc/host.conf is hosts then bind.

I use versions of FreeBSD earlier than 2.1.5 (each using its
accompanying sendmail version) without difficulty; mail works well
in both directions.

Help? I don't understand this new problem at all.