Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:20:35 -0700
From:      "Southo" <keith@southo.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   hostname cores

Greetings Listmembers,

Any thoughts on why I would get segmentation faults every time I run
hostname(8)? I get the same error when using 'su'. I suppose this is =
because
the system is looking for the hostname or something related. Whenever I =
run
the hostname or su commands I get a segmentation fault error and a core =
file
(hostname.core) in the current dir.=20

I've tried debugging, totally not knowing what I'm doing, and managed to
produce this hoping it will help one of the gurus on the list help me =
out.

# gdb -c hostname.core
GNU gdb 4.18 (FreeBSD)
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you =
are
conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for =
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd".
Core was generated by `hostname'.
#0  0x7f00 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x7f00 in ?? ()
#1  0x8048127 in ?? ()
Cannot access memory at address 0x80480b6.
(gdb)

I've been searching the net for answers. I've been to the signal 11 =
faq's
page and will try swapping out the ram in an attempt to fix.

I thought maybe there was a problem with the cvsup and make world I did =
on
this machine so I tried to update again. Now I cant finish make =
buildworld
due to errors in the buildprocess, will post in another thread due to =
lack
of information the moment. I was also wondering if it's possible to just
rebuild the hostname binary if that would fix this.

# uname -a
FreeBSD dragon.exsus-shell1.net 4.8-STABLE FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #0: Mon =
May 19
17:11:53 PDT 2003

TIA for any pointers to fixing this problem