Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 17:08:04 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Jonathon McKitrick" <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mysterious xntpd

>I'm trying to sync my clock with the timeservers out there, so i'm using
>ntpdate.  But i tried xntpd first, and now it seems like it is running
>every few minutes.  I noticed this when my ppp connection is down, it
>complains that it can't find any route to host.  I don't see a cron entry,
>but i can't seem to find the process that starts it.  Where else should i
>look?  /var/run shows it's pid, that's all i know.

Try looking in /etc/defaults/rc.conf or /etc/rc.conf. The daemon is
controlled by the line

    xntpd_enable="YES"              # Run xntpd Network Time Protocol (or
NO).

You can set up /etc/ntp.conf so xntpd uses your system's clock when you
aren't connected to the Internet (in essence, free-running), this will stop
the annoying messages:

    # Use local clock as reference when PPP connection not active
    server 127.127.1.0
    fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

Hope this helps,

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!