Date:      Tue, 05 Mar 2002 09:50:07 +0100
From:      Soeren Schroeder <sch@cybercity.dk>
To:        Ted Wisniewski <ted@ness.plymouth.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAM & LDAP - Pointer anyone?

At 22:56 26-02-2002 -0500, Ted Wisniewski wrote:
>I was wondering...  Has anyone done this successfully?
>
>I have FreeBSD 4.5, OpenLdap 2.0.23 & pam_ldap-137
>
>I have LDAP running, and configured where I can successfully Authenticate
>FTP sessions.    However, when I try to authenticate any other
>service - no go.
>
>I am specifically intersted in:
>
>         ssh, telnet, pop3, imap
>
>Since I have been able to do "ftp" I must be doing something correctly.
>
>pam.conf entry (for telnetd):
>
># "telnetd" is for SRA authenticated telnet only. Non-SRA uses 'login'
>telnetd auth    required        pam_ldap.so                     try_first_pass
>
>I also have ftpd:
>
>ftpd    auth    sufficient      pam_skey.so
>ftpd    auth    requisite       pam_cleartext_pass_ok.so
>ftpd    auth    sufficient      pam_ldap.so
>try_first_pass
>

>Perhaps I am missing something obvious?  If someone has done this and can
>point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

A workaround is installing ypldapd:
http://www.padl.com/ldap-nis_gateway.html
A nis server on top of ldap. Works like a charm !

Then all your deamons works out of the box. We tried PAM LDAP and ditched it.
--
Søren Schrøder  -  sch@cybercity.dk  -  PGP-key available on request
      "To define recursion, we must first define recursion."