Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 95 12:37 PST
From:      pete@puffin.pelican.com (Pete Carah)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CERN HTTPD

In article <Pine.BSF.3.91.951113131706.10854A-100000@blanco.sadeya.cesca.es> you write:

>> I recently installed CERN HTTPD from the packages directory and it works fine.
>> The one thing I want to do is point different addresses to different directories
>> i.e. I have three www addresses (www.x.y.z, www.a.y.z, and www.b.y.z) which all
>> point to the main server (www.x.y.z).  I want http://www.a.y.z/ to point to
>> http://www.x.y.z/a/ and http://www.b.y.z/ to point to http://www.x.y.z/b/
>>
>> Can I do this?  If so, how?
>
>It is not very easy, but yes. Try http://www.thesphere.com/~dlp/TwoServers/
>for an explanation.

Well, that isn't so easy with cern but works very easily with apache; ncsa
doesn't come with the patches preinstalled but the 'thesphere' web page
given above does describe them.  (apache is based on ncsa but is heavily
modified, and includes the virtual host mapping stuff by default...)
(actually it isn't all that hard with cern but requires a new copy of the
server for each virtual host.)

So if you don't need the proxy features of cern, apache is easy to
configure for multiple virtual hosts.

(see http://www1.clubnet.net; it heads a tree with several links to
more virtual hosts on the same machine.  This one is running a more-or-less
2.0.5 with 6 IP addresses on each of two ethernet ports; they all work.)

-- Pete