Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:12:51 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@ssl100-bsd.cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bad file descriptors: Why do they come, and why do they go?

Hi everyone,

I have a FreeBSD 3.4RELEASE machine that has been giving me some Bad file
descriptor errors in the security check output lately. There are two weird
points here:

1. From reading the mailing list archives I learned that using clri and
fsck, I may be able to get rid of these files. However, I get:
ssl100-bsd# ls -i /usr/lib/libcam.old
ls: /usr/lib/libcam.old: Bad file descriptor

Note that I was able to rename the file (so that I can remake the library
from source).

2. Some of these errors disappear just like they came. For instance, here
is part of tonight's security check:
checking setuid files and devices:
find: /usr/lib/libcalendar.old: Bad file descriptor
find: /usr/lib/libcam.old: Bad file descriptor
find: /usr/local/lib/xemacs-20.4/etc/vm/message-simple.xpm: Bad file
descriptor
find: /usr/local/lib/xemacs-20.4/etc/vm/mime-dn.xbm: Bad file descriptor
find: /usr/local/lib/xemacs-20.4/etc/vm/mime-colorful-dn.xpm: Bad file
descriptor
find: /usr/local/lib/xemacs-20.4/etc/vm/mime-colorful-up.xpm: Bad file
descriptor

But:
ssl100-bsd# cat /usr/local/lib/xemacs-20.4/etc/vm/mime-colorful-up.xpm >
/dev/null

(no error). The same goes for all the files reported as bad on /usr/local.

So, I have two questions:
Why do I get these errors, and what makes them disappear all by
themselves?

BTW, I didn't try a fsck yet - I don't want to take the machine down if I
don't have to. The /usr partition is on an IDE disk that I suspect is
going to die soon, but /usr/local is mirrored (using vinum). dmesg shows
no hardware errors though.

TIA,
Nadav