Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 01:45:25 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Rob Mallory <rmallory@wiley.csusb.edu>, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: stanford benchmark/usenix

>Do we have pentium optimized bcopy and bzero ?
>
>Because some of the benchmarks could clearly benefit from them.

   After reading the Usenix paper on OS performance on Pentium machines, I'm
inclined to add optimized code to our libc. Basically, get the processor type
(probably via sysctl) and use this to control which versions are called -
similar to what I recently did with bzero in the kernel.
   ...This is fairly low priority, however, so won't likely happen for a few
months.

-DG

David Greenman
Core Team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project