Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 17:01:20 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Mike Squires" <msquires@sir-alan.chem.indiana.edu>, "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: legality issue (fwd)

>I think unix is an AT&T trademark - not sure

Open Group?

>Our university (Indiana University) now is using Unix as a generic term for
>UN*X like operating systems.  I asked if a copyright statement was
required,
>but was told that "Unix" was now in common use.
>
>If anyone has a different answer, I'd like to know. ;-)

Well, the word "Kleenex" is also pretty common, but if you called yourself
"Kleenex Technologies", I'd bet you'd find Kimberly-Clark all over your butt
:-)

There are some trademarks that have become generic enough to lose trademark
status ("aspirin" comes to mind), it all depends on how aggressive the
trademark holder is in prosecuting infringement cases. Ultimately, it's an
issue for the courts to decide, and I wouldn't want to be the test case...

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!